Hanging Onto the Bottom of the World

This term has been massive! Why you ask? Because of the Year 5 Production that we performed. It was an incredible experience and I am so grateful for everybody that helped it all come together. Here is a short reflection of my experience!

At the beginning of the term we had to memorise a short script that we would use to audition for a role. Then the long week of waiting for our role to be announced started! I got the 2nd fortune seeker but after a while most people got around 3 or 4 roles so i got 2nd fortune seeker, convict, WA bridesmaid and anti-bilite for the crowd. Then we had to learn all of our lines and start rehearsing for the play. Rehearsals went well and different groups would always be taken out to practise one at a time.

The play was called Hanging Onto the Bottom of the World and it was about Australian federation. The play is very funny and was really fun to perform. Here are some of the things that were hinted in the play.

Brides and bridesmaids:

The brides and bridesmaids were at the start of the play and represented Australian federations and basically getting married. I was a bridesmaid for Western Australia. My bride was late and that represented that WA was so big that it didn’t want to federate and share its land with the others.

Gold Rush Scene:

In this scene there was a prospector who announced that he had found gold. Then fortune seekers who i was a part of came out trying to get the gold because they were desperate to find gold and get money. The prospector then pretends that he doesn’t have the gold and this repeats twice. The prospector was based off Edward Hargroves because he was one of the first people to announce that he found gold and one of the first to even find gold. Then a Chinese dragon comes out and then the fortune seekers and Chinese almost have debate. Then a 1st official comes out and tells them that they don’t want the Chinese in their land. This represents the times in the past where people were very racist towards Chinese people.

Cricket match:

The cricket match was the anti-bilites who were against the bills and the federationist who were basically battling in a cricket match saying reasons why they shouldn’t or should federate. Some important figures in this scene included Henry Parks, Edmund Barton and Alfred Deakin. Henry Parks  was important because he died before federation. Edmund Barton and Alfred Deakin were important  because  they were the first and second prime ministers of Australia. Then someone said that they should give the vote to the women and everybody is stunned. Then people who had fake beards came out and revealed that they were women and a woman asked were all of the women were and the tea ladies who were serving tea and sandwiches the whole show came out. Everyone laughed

There were also some more scenes but those were the main ones that I was in.

A highlight of mine was seeing everything come together. After lots and lots of hard work and rehearsals everything started to work and i was amazing. Another highlight was seeing everyone become their character. I really enjoyed this because when you act you can just step out of your own self and act as someone completely different.

Shoutouts and thanks:

A challenge that I had was either projecting my voice or becoming my character. In such a big space that we performed in it was difficult to know that everyone could hear me. I had to practise being loud and projecting my voice. I also had to face the audience. The other difficult thing was becoming my character. To step inside somebodies shoes and become that character was difficult but very fun.

Growth:

Some of the things that I learnt throughout this experience were mainly collaboration, organisation and how to get in character. Collaboration was a big part of the play because we all had to work together to get everything done and get it all working. We used organisation to come through the curtains at the correct time.

Shoutout!:

My shoutout goes to Leo! Leo played captain cook in the play. He was really funny and spoke loud and clear. He gave the crowd lots of laughters which shows that he was doing a good job.
Press here To access his blog.

The year 5 production was a be-au-tiful show and experience, so that ladies and gentlemen is a wrap (cough).

One thought on “Hanging Onto the Bottom of the World”

1. Hey Pat,

Awesome post. Love the detail, the subheadings, and the way you hooked me in at the start. Also, well done for adding a link to another blog, you’re all over the programming language!

Great to hear about the history behind the scene and the knowledge you have of this, and also the positive experience you had throughout.

Well done,
    Mr B.